Friday, September 17, 2010

Google Mom

It is 11 in the night and we are preparing for bed. Our full time helper, Nidhi, knocks on the bedroom door and asks the usual question: 'Bhabhiji, what to make tomorrow morning?' I groan loudly. All the usual breakfast options have been tried this week, and my imagination is in hiding somewhere- maybe behind the microwave, where I last experimented with a new dish.

My husband, Kapil and I have this ongoing battle- he hates the word nutrition, because in his mind it means tasteless. And he also hates repetition. So I have to keep racking my brains to create tasty, variety-filled, nutritious meals for him. If I fail, then out come the potatoes, rice and fried stuff.

Next morning, I silently fume while he gorges on thick aloo parathas and pickle. Suddenly, out of the fog of my despair emerges a picture of steaming idlis. And where idlis are, dosas and uttapams can't be far behind. Voila! Get idli/dosa batter and take care of three healthy breakfast dishes in one shot! But wait a minute- getting batter in Bangalore was easy. Any self-respecting kirana store would sell freshly made packs. Gurgaon, where we have recently moved, is another story. Where would we get batter here? Not those ready-mixes, please. Too much preservative.

Meanwhile, my baby is another problem. We have started her on solids, but have very little idea of what she can eat. Grandparents are always there for advice, but shouldn't we have our own opinion as well? Which reminds me, Kapil has been insisting that I feed her honey and I instinctively feel that we should wait. Should I or shouldn't I? And one more thing- I need to look for a paediatrician for her in Gurgaon.

The list does not end there. Our much banged around car is in dire need of repair. Authorised dealers are an option, but would charge a bomb.

And if that wasn't enough, young Nidhi is walking around with a sullen face these days- she misses her home back in the interiors of M.P. If she leaves, it would be a calamity! I am willing to do anything to retain her. Short of adopting her- she's too fashionable and flirtatious to be an easy daughter. Or getting her married to Kapil- I mean, think of all the fried food she'd feed him! She'd not even need my permission then! No, no, no. I'll need to think of something else.

It's time to turn to Google Chrome.

The instructions on Mamta's Kitchen site are clear- soak 3 parts idli rice, 1 part urad with fenugreek seeds for 6 hours. Then grind and leave the batter to ferment overnight. Next day, make hot, spongy idlis.

Wholesomebabyfoods.com suggests oatmeal, bananas and applesauce as a first food for babies. And offers a recipe to combine all three as well.

On asking Google for the 'Best paediatrician in Gurgaon', it throws up someone who's clinic is hardly 2 kms away. And honey is a no-no, according to babycentre.com.

Justdial.com throws up a garage which is not authorised, but has great ratings and is VFM. When I call, they offer to pick the car tomorrow.

Then I get onto bookmyshow.com and book Dabanng for Nidhi and me. She is a big fan of Sallu. Probably dreams of a husband like him.

After an hour or so, I close my netbook and sigh with relief. I am all set.

The next morning, I eagerly open the vessel with the idli batter. It hasn't fermented! Will my woes never end?! Back to my agony aunt, Google: 'My idli batter has not fermented.' Pop comes the solution- add eno fruit salt. Yippee-yoodle-hoo. Things are humming along once again.

My dreams come true. Kapil enjoys hot idlis with coconut chutney, and my daughter happily eats her oatmeal breakfast.

I decide to push my luck. Trying my best not to make it an 'I told you so' moment, I tell him "Know what, I read that honey in children below 2 years causes botulism. (Oh, oh. Hope he doesn't ask me what that is. I forgot to look it up, but it sounded important enough.)" He gives me a benign look. He's too happy with the food to argue.

A half hour later, the garage mechanic comes to pick the car. He gives a modest estimate to Kapil, and benign turns to beatific.

The afternoon is spent watching Dabanng, and Nidhi is restored to her good spirits. Back at home, she's humming 'Munni Badnaam' and now seems firm in her resolve to marry Sallu.

I am on an internet induced high now. Time to celebrate. Google 'blueberry cheesecake recipe'.

The cheesecake is an after-dinner surprise. The beatific Kapil now attains nirvana. Nidhi looks at me with doe-eyed devotion. "Bhabhiji, how do you know all this?" I tell her, "Stick around with me. I'll teach you everything." Hee hee.

As they eat, I slink back to my dark bedroom and take my netbook out. I pat it gratefully. Thanks for googling me out, friend.


4 comments:

Sharmishtha said...

As a fellow Google addict, totally vibe with this post! Enjoyed reading this thorougly, darling...do keep writing.

Mother Bee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mother Bee said...

Amen! What did we do before Google?

PS: Darling, what did the netbook come out in the night for...?

sweta said...

I hope google mom will shower some delicacies on me also!!!!Enjoyed reading!!